Thursday, April 21, 2011

Plain Yogurt in Korea

Sometimes it seems sugar is in EVERYTHING in Korea. Things you would never imagine putting sugar in. The spaghetti sauce here is sweet, even garlic bread from Paris Baguette. The first time I saw black beans as a side dish for my school lunch I almost literally jumped for joy expecting the savory Mexican spiced beans I'm used to from California. I took a bite and --what the?? Sugary, sweet black beans. Sigh. It happened the first time I bought yogurt here, too. I bought some yogurt labeled "plain" only to bring it home and find something that tasted like the yogurt from the Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait at McDonald's. So, I had to take my chances until I finally found a couple brands that are actually plain. So plain in fact I could use them as a sour cream substitute in burritos (because we all know how hard it is to find sour cream in Korea). So, without further ado, here they are:

Be careful with the Activia one... They have a "plain" and a "Non sweet Plain." Look on the side to make sure which one it is!

2 comments:

  1. And even the potato chips or crisps have sugar in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg thank you so much. i'm on my fourth attempt at plain yogurt. the one i got today is plain but too liquidy for me, it comes in a big bottle and says "sangha organic farm"

    ReplyDelete